Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Switching Gears

September 1st, time to switch gears, from summer to fall and get ready for winter. The cannery here only canned corn for about 3 weeks. Why such a short time?? Rumor has it they canned 1 million cans more last year then they shipped out. Wait What?? I guess. We saw a couple of fields of corn and soy beans drying out for harvest. They planted early this spring. I have seen pumkins big fat and orange in the fields too.

My youngest daughter Hannah is ready for school next week. Has her class schedule and a laptop from school. I have already planned out buying new winter coats for a couple of us, plus hats and gloves. Last weeks weather was great cool at night mid fifty's. One night it even hit 39, some of the tress are a little confused and have started to turn a few leaves. This week its warm upper 80's. Why ?? because the State Fair is going on until Labor Day.

I have planned over the next month to clean out the shed and make room for toys, get the shovels, scrapper and ice melt within reach. I managed to stock up another 100 lbs or so of canned food. I still need to get more canned meats in storage plus sugar. With all the sweet corn we had last month I believe its all gone. I want to stock up on more flour,coffee etc.

My youngest son Scott is buying a 97 Chevy S10 pickup from the guy next door. Its in good shape, plus it will give us more room for hauling anything we need, like fire wood, or using to G.O.D..

I have some other issues I am working on, and it is weighing heavy on my mind and hart. If I come to the decision I think I am leaning towards I will make the change before winter maybe as soon as Oct. 1st.

Looks like its all out war on the P.D'S so sad its come to this. The market is playing a game of see saw, and I'm sure is causing sleepless nights for so many and for different reasons. 

Well friends that wraps up this post,

Stay Safe and Remain Viligaint

Rob

9 comments:

Vicki said...

I was out and about with my youngest daughter today and noticed that a few leaves here and there have started to turn color. She said she wanted a re-do on summer.....it went by way too fast. Sounds like you are moving right along on the food storage. Good for you. I am ready for fall. But I'm not so sure I want to think about winter just yet. :)

PioneerPreppy said...

People and institutions around here been begging for Pumpkins. I had three calls asking me if I had any today. It appears the rains killed all the pumpkins in the state just like it did mine. Guess there won't be a Pumpkin fest in a few places.

Rob said...

We don't have air so we are ready for cooler temps.

Rob said...

I don't think it will be an issue here for any crops.

Cindy said...

How about goodwill or a thrift store for winter clothing? Watch the sales for food, Rob use coupons. Just a couple of suggestions. It's what we do

hobo said...

We're about a month ahead weather-wise. The pumpkins and squash are ready already. But I'm praying that we don't get our first frost tonight. Just not quite ready yet but it will come eventually.

Check out craigslist, too, for some gently used winter gear but know what new sells for cause sometimes people are delusional and try to sell something that has been used for nearly new price.

Rob said...

Cindy thanks for stopping by, I have tryed Goodwill, but I'm a large framed person, finding used clothes in my size is zero. We used to do coupons for name brand but we found that we can save just as much or more with off brand names, like Great Value (WM) or Everyday Essentials (Super Value)

Rob said...

Hobo our farmers are about a month ahead of last year due to early planting. I have seen some of the pumpkins and DAMN they be fat...My daughter was using a local web site for baby clothes and it turned into a nightmare. Women would post a sob story, someone would give them clothes then the idiot would turn around a sell it on the same web site.

Rob said...

Sorry for some slow replies, between the Florida like humidity here in MN and some computer issues (lack of updating) its been hard to post. They say cooler temps next week, we can only hope.