Friday, September 21, 2018

Prepping Big Time

Prepping Big Time is an understatement.  I scored 48 cans of soup, chicken noodle (24) and tomato (24) $16.00 a case or .66 cents a can. I just may go pick up another 48 cans. Today we bought 2 pork, butt roasts for $1.29 lb 14 lbs total. We also bought 4 pork tender loins last week.

Our chest freezer is full. Thinking about getting another one. We have 9 3 lb tubs of bulk hamburger.
6 packs of boneless skinless chicken breast. one ham. We are going to stock up on more dry goods, flour, corn meal, T.P. laundry soap. The list goes on.

The kids are picking up a stand mixer for the wife. You know what that means ??. I will load up on flour, yest, eggs and everything we need to go from store bought bread to home made. Going to pick up powered milk, and other shelf stable foods

Winter is near, so when the big north winds blow, the temps drop, we can stay indoors and warm. Next week we go full on winter proofing the house. Checking all heat tapes, covering all the windows inside and new this year outside too.

Well as normal for me I started this yesterday, and now my thought train has derailed. Oh well. 3 days of rain, and no white stuff yet. Have a great weekend all,  I will leave comment monitoring on from now on. Think of it as my border fence.

Rob

9 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

No white stuff is always good.

deb harvey said...

ever read 'ask jackie' at backwoods home magazine?
one year a long power outage ruined lots of their food.
now she freezes it temporarily when harvest is at peak, and cans it all as she has time. she never wants to lose it all again.

Rob said...

Its always good. I want it just for Christmas then it can be gone

Rob said...

No I have not. With our cool temps right now 40-50 not worried about it too much. With winter coming we can put food in the shed and it will stay frozen until April

Rev. Paul said...

Sounds like you scored some great savings on supplies. Speaking of white stuff, it's still a little too soon for permanent ground cover, but only once in the last 15 years have we failed to have snow by Halloween.

Rob said...

We had a blizzard on Halloween 1991. No thank you
My kids couldn't understand why I bought so much soup. They will learn this winter when they came inside from shoveling and mom has tomato soup all warmed up and ready to eat.

Mike Yukon said...

Isn't it nice not having a house payment? Now all that money can get and keep you prep'd and cash in the bank!

Suz said...

Yea! Stock up time!!/ We have been doing the same. My husband bought a chicken Monday, $0.60/pound. Thursday he went back and bought 4 more. I have been picking tomatoes, he has been peeling and coring them, and getting them cooking, then when I get home from work, I have been turning them into catsup. So far we have 8 pints and 3 quarts with another 4 galloon bucketful of tomatoes to be processed. Need to buy more spices so we can finish. Will get to the store on my way home from work tomorrow.

Buy lots of the dry milk, you can use this in any bread recipe, either the make by hand kind, or in a bread machine if you have one.

Rob said...

Suz we didn't plant a garden this year, late winter, tight budget. Next year we will. We got a qt of milked with the long shelve life packaging. I drank it. My kids said no way. Its like $2.00 a qt at WM. I will get some powered milk.