Thursday, March 21, 2019

Winter Is Now A Memory

Much to every one's delite. Our last storm was mostly rain. We lost about 12" of snow cover. Day temps are nearing 45 50 this weekend. We are down to the ice snow mix we had before mother nature gave us what amounted to an entire winters worth of snow, in Feb. If I remember I will take some photos and do a before and after the melt. We have had some normal flooding like we get every year, but not has bad as some had feared.

Our community found out last week that the cannery here will close by summers end. I think it is the oldest plant the company has. Fairbult Foods was bought out a couple of years ago and added on to the plant in Fairbult MN. Jobs moving down to that town Loss of 150 jobs, on top of the Shopko closing costing 50 jobs.The cannery has had a hard time keeping folks. They ran the plant 24 hrs, cut back to one shift, and now back up to two. The had a large corn harvest every year that would last for almost 2 months. The last 3 years they have done zero corn pack. The last one they did was over in 4 weeks. They said folks like the flash frozen veggies instead of canned.

Had my eyes checked today, last time was in 2016. Last year I went to get them checked and found out I did not have medical coverage at all, except of Medicare with S.S. The Dr said my eye health was good for someone who has type 2 diabetes. I was told back in 2003 that I have it. I have a good Dr and we stay on top of it. The DR again suggested that I need bifocals, sorry doc, been there, tried that wasn't for me. Beside if I can't see the computer screen I zoom in. Oh I put another year of experience on my odometer of life, last week. My dad called wished me a happy day, and reminded me of my age next year, thanks pop. My family keeps on eye on my health. My granddad, and mom both died at 60. Well this kid is too damn stubborn to pass on. That folks is my secret I'm still a kid at heart. My kids tell, me dad you can't live us with just mom in our life we need you too.

We decided to cut cable out altogether. It was just too much for the few channels we watched. My son was paying it for his online gaming. But at $175 a month, no way. Now we pay $45 a month for internet, plus $14. a month for Amazon Prime. We also switched cell phone companies. My wife and I had Verizon. service was good. Had them for 5 or 6 years. My oldest son needed a new phone, we looked around and switched to METRO PCS by T Mobile. We paid $80 a month for two phones. Now we pay $90 for three phones. They had a deal on phones so we all got new phones.

I catch the news headlines via the internet, and all I can say is..NOT A SINGLE word. Keeps the trolls away. I did read a story that with the way our economy  is now, Trump will win reelection by a land slide. Another reason was the Democrats took such a hard left turn they turned their backs on their base. No doubt. Life goes on. Well if I keep this up, we will be here for days, and some may think I was running for office. Not even on  my radar. cold shiver just ran down my back kicked my ass as it exited my body

Stay Safe all...spring is finally here........Rob








4 comments:

Jess said...

We had a mild, wet Winter. With it creeping away, we've had some 80 degree days, which is great, until you realize that will be the morning low in two month. Otherwise, the middle of your Summer will probably be like our Spring, which explains how the northerly folks find so much enjoyment during the hotter months.

We haven't skated completely, since stalled fronts can bring torrential rains. That, and severe thunderstorms. Time will tell, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Rob said...

Most of my friends have stated if anyone complains about the heat this summer, (after our deep freeze spell) gets a punch in the nose.

Vicki said...

It is really nice to be able to look out and not see great piles of snow. Now the road between Shakopee and Chaska is closed due to flooding. I am grateful Shakopee was built far enough above the river so it doesn't flood here in town.

Rob said...

Every time I hear that 41 is closed I know the spot. Thank god the state fixed 169 all those years ago. The drive to 35 got to be a nightmare. So was the old cedar ave bridge. Gee I can still recall those mem's of yesteryear...Maybe maturity isn't so bad...YET. I wish I could forget some of the current memories...Obama & Clinton come to mind....LOL