Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Ethnicity Estimate

 I took a DNA test last year, not to find long lost family. Ok If I find someone great. Mostly on my mothers side would be great. My mom & sperm donor divorced when I was very young. He don't have time for me, I don't need him. My mom remarried when I was 6. My dad gave me his last name, via adoption.

I am interested in my great grand parents of both sides. Peterson/ Carter.  I knew I was Irish, Norwegian, & Swedish.  Great Grandparents Peterson came from Sweden. Great Grandparents Cater came from Ireland  I think....at some point someone did.

Yesterday I get another update from Ancestry.. Seems they keep working on fine tuning ethnicity.
They have nailed down ethnicity to specific counties, or parts of the country.

Swedish 22%   (Central Sweden) 

Ireland & Scotland  22%   (Connacht Ireland, South Connemara)
 
England, Wales & Northwestern Europe  17%

 
Germanic Europe   17%

 
Norway   15%   (Southeastern, Central & Northern Norway)

 
Baltics  3%

 
Eastern Europe & Russia 3%

 
Finland  1% 


I find this all very interesting. I messaged my oldest last night. Told him. The first thing out of his mouth.."So we are diffidently white."" Son I said "we are so white, we are snow white" I was thinking transparent but snow white came out.  

We are all proud of our heritage. That is what makes us Americans.
Besides with the Swedish & Norwegian that makes us Vikings. My wife's mother came from Norway, so yes we are heavy on the Viking side.

Not much else is going on with us. True fall is here, the battle between summer and winter. Summer wants to stay, but winter keeps saying not so fast its my turn. Frost on the car today. I put my gloves on for the first time this winter. My hands felt strange wearing gloves first time since last april.

Stay warm, and safe everyone,  

Rob
.
 

6 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

It seems like Swedes, Germans, Norwegians and even a lot of the "English" would fall under the German category. I think I've read the Fins are different. I guess we never know.

Rob said...

I found a piece about Germanic Europe. Its a lengthily report or research paper, Talks about how the Germans stopped the expansion of the Romans, and mat have lead to its collapse.

Vicki said...

It is fun to find out about your heritage. I haven't done the DNA thing, but in my genealogy research I found links to England, Scotland and France, with a little German thrown in for good measure. Funny, I had an uncle who must have had some sort of prejudice towards the French because he always denied that part of his ancestry. And that is the only family line I have been able to trace back to its origins.

Rob said...

My wife did it and found her sisters in Norway. Family here in MN too. She was adopted and has wondered for years. My biggest regret was not having my grandma write down who was who, and their finally resting place. My grand parents are at Lakewood, as is my grandmas sister. I know I have my great grandma or aunt there too. But so much as changes since I was over to that side of Lakewood some 45 years ago. Wow that just sounded strange to say that.

Tewshooz said...

We need more Vikings now.

Rob said...

More like less idiot liberals