Tuesday, July 28, 2015

I Identify Dirty

I wanted to name this post dirty old man, but I thought I would either get no replies or I would overload blogger. Why do you ask??
I spent 6 hours doing a wheel bearing assembly replacement on our Montana van yesterday. (so no CAP) MN cars are hard to work on when the rust acts like a super glue.

I went through a can of WD40, and penetrating oil. We bought a impact wrench, as we needed one anyhow. I thought I was going to burn it out those stubborn bolts. When I finally had the van apart and put back together I sat there with a puzzled look on my face I was told. My kids asked if I was alright. My reply was I think I'm done. It took like I said almost 6 hrs to get it apart and less then 30 min to put it back together, LOL.

Here is a photo of me working on the beast.....
 3 of the tire lug bolts snapped off the day before I made the repair.

Here I am after I was done. I don't know if you can see all the dirt on me, but I don't think the shirt or soxs will be white again. The gray shorts did come clean. Thanks Tide..


It was a hot day yesterday, but the dew point is dropping finally after a week of feeling like we are back in Florida. It will be great sleeping tonight, temp down to 60. happy dance.

Some of the farmers have cut their early plantings of wheat and oats. The sweet corn harvest is starting too. in less the two weeks the cannery will start their 24 hr canning of corn for the year.

Well friends that about wraps up this post. 

Stay Safe, and Vigilant........Rob

10 comments:

PioneerPreppy said...

Doing your own repairs and having the tools to do them is worth any amount of dirt AND a pair of socks and shirt.

Never wear white though.

Rob said...

I think I saved between $300 to 500 on the repair. I wore white because its cooler in the heat. I learned that in Fla. That's why most cooks wear white.

Vicki said...

My Dad always said there was no shame in getting dirty while working. The shame is being dirty and lazy. Obviously, your dirty is of the hard working variety. Glad you got it fixed!

Rev. Paul said...

It's honest dirt, and the t-shirt is a casualty of war. Well done, sir.

Rob said...

I'm glad I saved a ton of money, but it took longer then 15 min. and I didn't use the advertised company..

Rob said...

Honest dirt is the best kind Padre. I differently use blood, sweat and tears. My wife asked how I cut myself, (who knows), it was almost as hot as Death Valley, (ok not as hot) and I was so happy I was done I cried, that or it was the sweat running down my face. cheesy grin

kymber said...

excellent work Rob and jam says "way to go buddy"! it's always a satisfying feeling when you can do the work yourself! and save money! sending much love your way, buddy!

your friend,
kymber

Rob said...

i don't work on cars as much as I should have over the years. No garage doesn't help. I can do brakes and tire changes mostly the basic stuff. With oil changes is about the same price having it done vs doing it your self. Plus they can lube all the important stuff.. Now if I can just figure out how to repair two of my computers I'll be even happier. big grin.

Anonymous said...

"DIRTY OLD MAN" - 1966

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvksTgNMDM

Rob said...

Thanks Annon. i never heard this, diffidently old school.