Friday, July 24, 2015

Its Not Much But...

We don't have much stored, but I bet we are way better off then most folks. Its been slow going, what helped alot is when the boys worked at the cannery. We still have cases of veggies from a little over a year ago, and corn from corn pack almost a year now.

Since they both quit the cannery and are now at the egg farm we have more then enough eggs. Last count 9 1/2 dozen eggs. We could get another 4 dozen this week but I told the boys to pass this week.



We have several cases in a another area, plus a 10 lb bag of flour. I plan on stocking up on about 30 lbs more of flour, and at lest 30 lbs of sugar, 10 lbs of coffee, and about 20 lbs of rice. My goal is to add before winter. Still thinking about a dehydrator, to dry out some things like onions, and herbs or maybe we can just buy them already dried. I think potatoes would work out for scalloped, and maybe hash browns. 

We picked up some bacon 4 1lb packages for $12.00, pricey but still cheap, and some sliced turkey. Its all frozen for now.  I saw a fridge a few months ago and the family said no, but I think we could have used it. I want to get a freezer, but then I worry about losing power. May look into a small narrator encase  that happens, but I want something quite so no one knows we have it.

Well folks that about wraps it up for now. Big storms came through early this am and I mat take a nap.

Stay Safe............Rob

16 comments:

Vicki said...

You are miles ahead of the general population in your preps. It has taken me 3-4 years to get where I am with mine. And it would have been a longer time if I had family to take care of. Most will run out of food within mere days. And they aren't even doing anything to remedy that. You are. Bravo.

Rev. Paul said...

Are you sure you want to publish a description-with-pictures of your inventory? We have enough to fee ourselves and our daughters for a couple of months, but I've not gone into detail on my blog.
Not criticizing by any means; just curious.

Tewshooz said...

5 gallon buckets with gamma lids keep the bugs out. You are doing great! A little bit extra every week sure adds up in a hurry.

Harry Flashman said...

You're doing very well , Rob. I'm sure you are better off than a lot of your neighbors.

Rob said...

Thanks but we are lacking in canned meat too.

Rob said...

Padre, I;m not worried most of my neighbors are not involved in our way of thinking. Our grocery store here in town is busy from 3 pm to 6 pm. Then it drops off until 10 when they close. Mostly families during that time earlier its the retired folks.

Rob said...

i saw them but I have been working on stocking up first, mostly canned goods for now

Rob said...

Thanks Harry, The cannery stock up helped alot. Last time my son ordered 2 cases vs the 25 I wanted.

kymber said...

Rob - you are doing really well in building your preps - keep at it! as you know every little bit helps and if your practice adding to your preps on a regular basis, it will really add up soon. starting off is the hardest part but you are well on your way. i congratulate you!

sending much love! your friend,
kymber

PioneerPreppy said...

Off and running I see. Hey maybe you could pickle and home can the eggs? I have no idea if that is viable or not. Maybe boil em and then dehydrate them?

I know little about storing eggs if you can't tell.

Stephen said...

Nice blog, Rob....I'll list you at my place and thanks for the link here.

Leigh said...

I'd say it's looking really good and I admire your diligence. Ours has been dipped into due to joblessness, so you never know.

Rob said...

I saw a web page that says scramble them then freeze or cook and freeze good for a year.

Rob said...

Its been had to keep everyone out of the stores. i told them the canned pasta is up for grabs but not much else. canned meat is real hard. Had some Spam, gone, tuna fish gone. I guess i will have to buy really big cans or something.

Rob said...

Thanks Stephen, glad to see you around still your wisdom and humor are needed.

Rob said...

Ours was down real low, the boys working at the cannery helped so much.