Saturday, October 8, 2016

30 Days Left Until We Vote...

I know we are all tired of the election cycle. Mud slinging is only going to get worse. Calls from some GOP members for Trump to step down this late, over something he said, is so stupid you may as well tell Her, to just take the Oath of office on the 20th of Jan. How many of us have said something that comes back and bits us in the ass. Ask any male about running his mouth about women. Nothing to see here, move along.

We had temps down to 32 here last night, so fall is here, just waiting for the other shoes to drop. I turned the heat on yesterday. Kind of a clue its cold out when the wife comes out to the living room, and she is chattering cause she cold. So my project later today is to seal all the inside windows for winter. I applied for energy assistance all ready. Not something I like to do, but I have no choice. It doesn't look good for any COLA raise in social security, nothing for a second year. While my lot rent is as of Dec 1st, gone up by $50 the last two years, total. I guess we will have to tighten the belt a little more. We have not gone out for dinner as a family in so long I don;t remember the last time.

If we have take out, say Chinese, its a 3 way split now days between me, and my two youngest kids. See a movie?? Last one was in 2006 before we moved to Florida. I will wait for it to come out on DVD or Netflix. Youngest son as an account. My big purchase every month is my cell phone, and spotify. The kids pay for cable internet. At lest they are great about making sure the car has gas. I try to limit any driving outside of town to once a week or so for shopping, Dr etc. Tuesday my wife and I both see the Dr, then I will have to take youngest daughter to see her DR after school.

I will drive to Walmart for major grocery shopping, but I watch the ads for the local market when they have meat on sale. Always lower then WM. This week we picked up 20 lbs of hamburger, 4 packs of skinless, boneless chicken breast at WM, $ 1.99 a lb, stew meat, and fixings for a pot of chili.
Marketplace had steak on sale this week, so we have some for this weekend, They also had arm roasts on sale, picked up enough to have twice this next month. Oh a fat pork tenderloin, that we also can get two meals out of. We try and have what we call a "Hot Meal" more like a family dinner every other day. Then simple sandwhich and soup, in between. Last night it was fish and chips, tonight its subs. We picked up OM sub meat kits, that has ebough meat to make 14 6" subs. Two packs, for 28 subs.

There is an Adli's opening in Hutchinson about 20 mlis away, this fall sometime. I will more then likely shop, WM and Adli's, we have another store called Cashwise, but sometimes I think we get a better deal at WM. I remeber my grandma, used to shop at lest 3 store for deals. Only Vicki will remeber these names, Red Owl, Holiday Village, and the local Riverside Market. We had several chains called National T, Piggly Wiggly, and Rainbow. All closed now. Our big food store are CUB Foods, Walmart, then some local brand names, Lunds & Byerly's (high end) and some other small chains. We have of couse Aldi's, and now HY VEE from Iowa is moving in.

If you don't shop around your nuts. A 25lb bag of bread flour is $15.00 here in town, $9.00 at WM. I can get more food with that $5 I save on that item alone. Milk goes on sale often,down to $2.99 gal., for name brand, other wise its Dairy Fresh. Now that we have a bead machine we will make our bread and rolls from scratch. Our canned goods supply is still down. next month I will stock up on more as it will get colder and such. We have already talked about what kind of meat for the hoildays, and get that well before everyone buys it.

Well My friends it seems I rambled on again. So I will close this post. Stay Warm, Safe, and the dust should settle after Nov. 8th. Who am I kidding, just wait until Trump wins the liberals will cry foul...;)


.

8 comments:

Vicki said...

Yep...I remember the stores you mentioned. I miss those smaller groceries. If there was something you needed they would order it for you. The big box stores - not so much. We are down to just Cub and Walmart along with Sam's. Sam's has a $40 membership fee, but for the things I buy in case lots or in bulk, it doesn't take long to make that back in savings. All in all, I would still rather have those smaller stores.

Rob said...

Even with MP here, I asked the meat manger about getting Boston Butt, prk and he had some got a good price around $1.5o a lb. Ive noticed since WM has all they meat prepriced it seems higher. Our guys here still cut the pork and beef themselves. chicken is all pre packaged.

PioneerPreppy said...

YA the big squeeze is on financially. The government is still going broke and they are slowly tightening the belt on everyone to keep making their largess payments.

The pie is shrinking and being WHite and rural you are not one of the cash cow groups for them.

Rob said...

Sad, but true statement

Mike Yukon said...

I wish this election was over because the next month all your going to hear and see will be nothing but BS. Looks like HBO will get most of my time just to avoid hearing them. The other choice is to kill off “Dish Satellite” and save the monthly fee then use local broadcast, ROKU and other internet offerings.

Since being retired I tend to be careful with purchases so to get the most value, especially food. Buy one, get one free is what we build the weeks meal planning on. For meat it’s normally Sam’s which here is very good, hard to beat the ribs and brisket prices.

Get that bread machine going and post some picture of the good stuff it makes.

Hang in there friend,
Mike

Rob said...

Takes Mike. Our internet is cheap, less then $50. add TV and it jumps to $125. If I was paying it would be just the internet. I pay for spotify as I enjoy good music,and at $10.00 its good value. I dropped the premium, and went back to free, but the commercials for all the Rap music was more then I could handle.

Linda said...

I got the new $28 Roku box and hulu is $5.99/mth for a limited time. Then, I found out that Amazon Prime gets you Netflix for $99/year. The free shipping might be handy since I never order from Amazon because of shipping. I only have a tv antenna that gets practically nothing! Since I just signed up for hulu, I will drop it for Amazon. That works because I have credit on Amazon from refunds.

Walmart here price-matches on stores within 35 mile radius, not 35 miles driving distance. I access a store called Sprouts Farmers Market and get their good prices at WM. It is hard for me to shop because I need an electric cart, so this works for me. My WM is very clean and has great meat and produce, unlike some reports I get of WMs in other parts of the country.
pparsimony...cannot use the url option on blogger.

Rob said...

Hi Linda, I added you to my blog list since you stopped by a posted a comment. I think all WM price match. But to us its just better to shop there. When we lived in Florida folks would come in with those adds from others, just seemed to slow down check out as the cashier has to call a manager to get approval.