Friday, November 22, 2019

Moving Out Of My Comfort Zone

I like most folks like to stay in what I call a comfort zone. No not a safe place like all the loony liberals. My comfort zone is doing the same thing daily, or routine. I don't mind making some changes now and again. When we shop I like going to the same stores, Walmart, our local Dollar General, Marketplace the grocer in town. Same gas station, etc. Its not superstition, I just have gotten comfortable to these places. Gas station I use is the easiest to get in and out of. Larger number of pumps, they carry snacks foods I like, etc. The DG & MP we use, we get to know the staff. If I get treated right, I will go out of my way to use that cashier over and over. At MP we had a cashier who was rude, I avoid her by all means. Their is another one who never smiles, etc. 

One change that I have made in the last few weeks is my Civil Air Patrol Squadron. I have been going to the same unit from 2014 until last month. I now attend a unit that is not only closer to my home by 40 min round trip, but its a new unit starting up. I deal with all new folks. Never have meet them before. Know nothing about them, other then what I have found out after meeting them.

In CAP when a new squadron is formed its called a Flight. We are attached to another squadron. We use their members as leaders/ mentors. My squadron commander is a retired USAF Lt Col. Because he was active duty now retired his rank in CAP is the same as his USAF rank. I respect him due to his rank. He respects me not only because my rank, 1 LT, (lower then his) but because I stepped up and said yes I want to help. For about a month and a half I was attending 2 units. Going to my old unit one week, the new one the next. I talked over transferring with my family, they all thought it was a great idea. When I say talked to my family, just not my wife at home, but all 5 of my kids. They all thought it was a good idea.

I transferred at the end of Sept. I have no set staff position. Before I was Logistics Officer, Testing Officer. Set positions. Now I'm a jack of all trades. I'm am covering several positions at once, none as a assigned position. Several times I volunteered to assist in several staff leadership positions, at my old squadron. I was always told "thanks but no thanks" Even when an open request was made to apply.

I received an email last night from my new unit Commander asking if I was willing to be a second addressee for emails. I told the Col. I had no issues helping out. I offered to be his 2nd in command, if he should not be able to attend a weekly meeting. My old squadron commander has given me the cold shoulder. Sir your a grown ass adult, you act like a child. I have talked to others at my old squadron most have said good luck with your new squadron. If or I should say when i'm am given the Deputy Squadron Commander I will so enjoy send my old commander an email with my new title. A look what I was given. You had your chance and you blew it..LOL

The weather here is still crazy. No idea it its going to be cold, cool, rain or snow.  Stay safe my friends.

Rob







 

3 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Best of luck & Godspeed, my friend. Your new CO should have no trouble recognizing your leadership potential, and he certainly can't fault your willingness to pitch in.

Rob said...

Thanks Padre, The last 3 CDR all had the we need help but not your help attitude. There was 4 CDR since 2014. The one serving a year ago had a temper. And well lets say after his 2nd arrest he was replaced. The current one is all by the book. If HQ says its this way then its this way. No if and or buts. He wouldn't flex at all. He was happy to give me 25 year service pin. But not my Captain promotion. Even if he could request a waver, for former conference attendance. Two wing conference attendance for promotion. He wanted me to go two more times or 7 in total. He read 2 since 2014. Not since 1984

Rob said...

1984 was original date of enrollment (enlistment)